Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NFS Backups

2007-03-27 13:50:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NFS Backups
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:50:01 -0400
I'm unsure where the Linux box comes into play.

If the appliance presents an NFS share, and you're going to back the
appliance up via NFS, at the very least, I would mount the share ON one
of your (*nix) Netbackup servers.
If I were adding in a net new linux box to mount the share, (just
because you want another server, or because your existing Netbackup
servers are all windows) then I would be making that linux box a media
server.

Otherwise, if you're mounting the share on the linux box, then backing
up that linux box as a normal network client, then you're passing the
data over the network twice...once from the NFS server, to the linux NFS
client, then from the linux client to the media server.

If you're gonna make a net new linux box a media server (a SAN media
server at the very least), it'd probably be cheaper to just buy the NDMP
licence.

If you have an "all windows" Netbackup inf. now, then it's probably not
going to be up to the task of being a decent NFS client with any sort of
throughput performance.

Paul

--

La version fran?aise suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of
this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately
from

Le pr?sent courriel peut contenir de l'information privil?gi?e ou
confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute
diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires d?sign?s est interdite. Si vous
recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer imm?diatement et envoyer sans
d?lai ?
l'exp?diteur un message ?lectronique pour l'aviser que vous avez ?limin? de
votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel re?u.