Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS number for HP LTO3 drives

2007-03-26 20:45:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS number for HP LTO3 drives
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:45:06 -0400
> What if I have both the ESL (LTO-3) and the VTL (Ultrium-2)
> drives on the same server.
>
> What to I set, is there any guideline for an environ with mixed set of
> drives.

What is your objective?

a.  to introduce an untested value into your company's backup and
RESTORE scheme because somebody else used it?  Then take anything you
get and move on.

b.  to determine optimal buffer parameters for your environment based on
business decisions regarding backup versus restore speeds, priorities
for backup or restore for priority systems, DR scenarios including
priorities, likely recovery infrastructure, and dozens of other things
that none of us ever come up with perfect answers to?  Then take your
business requirements, study Freemantle's references and develop a
rigorous test plan to determine what parameters best fit your
combination of requirements.  It is not easy to do this right--it is not
easy to even determine what "right" is, considering the conflicting
business and technical requirements.

c.  for everything to work reasonably well with minimal maintenance,
minimal  administration and minimal risk?  Do nothing; NetBackup's
defaults, especially in 6.0, make good choices.  See those references
(specifically, the Tuning Guide) for details.