Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Drive Cleaning Frequency for SSO Drives

2007-03-21 14:47:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Drive Cleaning Frequency for SSO Drives
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:47:49 -0400
> > > Is there a why to specify the cleaning frequency on SSO drives?
The
> > > cleaning frequency setting under Device Monitor, accessed by
> > > right-clicking on the drive and selecting Drive Cleaning
> > > Set Cleaning Frequency, is grayed out on all our SSO drives.
> > > Additionally there does
> > > not seem to be a way to change the attributes of the tape drive to
> > > specify a cleaning frequency from the Change Drive dialogue
> > > box for our SSO drives.
> >
> > Are you still trying to set frequency-based cleaning on your drives?
> > Why?
> >
> > Unless you have antique drives, they will almost certainly
> > implement the
> > TapeAlert standard and/or self-clean.  Do you have your drive
> > manufacturer's recommendation to clean them based on usage hours?
>
> Yes, our manufacture recommended we clean our tape drives
> based on usage hours.

That's interesting.  I don't remember you specifying the drive; what
make and model of drives are these?

> I will look into TapeAlert and ensure it is enabled since it
> looks like the only way to clean our tape drives with the current
> version of NetBackup we have.

TapeAlert goes back to DLT7000 days (late '90s) IIRC, but I do remember
firmware updates for some drives which added TapeAlert or perhaps didn't
implement it the way HP specified--so don't overlook the firmware
possibility if your drives don't have TapeAlert as-is.