Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RMAN recovery from tape with automatic channels

2007-03-20 17:35:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RMAN recovery from tape with automatic channels
From: jkstill at gmail.com (Jared Still)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:35:49 -0700
Whilst trying to simplify our restore procedures by using automatic channels
to configure RMAN for tape, I have run into the following problem.

A simple restore and recover operations fails because RMAN is opening
a disk channel rather than a tape channel.

RMAN> run {
2> #allocate channel ch1 type 'sbt';
3>      restore database;
4>      recover database;
5>      alter database open;
6> }
Starting restore at 20-MAR-07

allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1
channel ORA_DISK_1: sid=13 devtype=DISK
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 03/20/2007 12:05:59
RMAN-06026: some targets not found - aborting restore
RMAN-06100: no channel to restore a backup or copy of datafile 10
RMAN-06100: no channel to restore a backup or copy of datafile 1

RMAN>
RMAN>
RMAN> **end-of-file**

RMAN> show all;

RMAN configuration parameters are:
CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 5 DAYS;
CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF; # default
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO 'SBT_TAPE';
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; #
default
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' PARALLELISM 2;
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1; # default
CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default
CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' MAXOPENFILES 8;
CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default
CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO 'D:\ORACLE\ORA92\DATABASE\SNCFTL01.ORA';
# default

RMAN>

As you can see, SBT_TAPE is set as the automatic channel.
The script works as expected if the 'allocate channel' line is uncommented.

Backups via the automatic channel work fine.

Environment:
Oracle 9.2.0.7
No Recovery catalog
Veritas NetBackup 5.1 MP5
Windows Server 2003 SP1

Has anyone here run into this?
Or know a possible solution?

I know there are some issues with NBU 5.1 and RMAN, so I guess
this could be another one.

I have searched MetaLink and googled veritas.com - not much help.

Thanks,

--
Jared Still