Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Status 50

2007-03-20 15:45:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Status 50
From: jack.l.forester at lmco.com (Jack Forester, Jr.)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:45:35 -0400
Greetings...

We're starting to experience a large number of backup jobs ending with a
status code of 50.  Every now and then I used to see backups end with a
50, but it was usually due to someone rebooting a media server in the
middle of a backup.  The ones I'm seeing I can confirm that the server
was not rebooted.  However, it appears that the backup is running to
completion before getting the 50.  Backup times, number of files backed
up, and kbytes are consistent from when the backup completes normally.
After digging into the bpsched log (the only one I had active at the
time) I do see things that suggest that whatever causes the error
happens after the backup completes.  I never see "EXIT STATUS 50" in the
bpsched log, but I do see "EXIT STATUS 0" in the log associated with the
bpsched job for the job that gets a 50.  The images on media shows a
backup image, and the backup and restore GUI shows files that were
backed up.

I hope my description was coherent.  We're doing the standard
stuff...enabling bptm, bpbkar, etc logs and hoping the error occurs so
we can capture something in the act.  I was wondering if anyone here has
seen this before, and whay you did to correct it.  We're running
5.1MP6.  Right now, we're seeing this only on our test systems, but I
how we can get a handle on it before (if) we see it on our production side.

--
Jack L. Forester, Jr.
UNIX Systems Administrator, Stf