Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Having problems with DB2 on linux

2007-03-16 04:48:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Having problems with DB2 on linux
From: david.clooney at bankofamerica.com (Clooney, David)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 08:48:26 +0000
Hi all

Was wondering whether someone could perhaps shed some light if possible.

Scenario:      solaris 8 master

DB2 client :   RedHat2.4 5.1MP4

We are in the process of incorporating DB2 backups into the NBU
environment and experiencing issues on one specific client.

Designated standard script within the DB2 policy  below:

#!/bin/sh

#bcpyrght

#***********************************************************************
****

#* $VRTScprght: Copyright 1993 - 2003 VERITAS Software Corporation, All
Rights Reserved $ *

#***********************************************************************
****

#ecpyrght

#

# These environment variables are initialized by Netbackup (bphdb)

#

echo "DB2_CLIENT = $DB2_CLIENT"

echo "DB2_SERVER = $DB2_SERVER"

echo "DB2_POLICY = $DB2_POLICY"

echo "DB2_SCHED = $DB2_SCHED"

echo "DB2_FULL = $DB2_FULL"     # Is 1 if Full backup scheduled

echo "DB2_CINC = $DB2_CINC"     # Is 1 if Cumulative incremental
scheduled

echo "DB2_INCR = $DB2_INCR"     # Is 1 if Differential incremental
scheduled

#

# Change MY_LIB to the correct NetBackup library name for your host:

#       Solaris or Linux 32-bit  = nbdb2.so

#       Solaris 64-bit           = nbdb2.so64

#       AIX or HPUX 32-bit       = nbdb2.sl

#       AIX or HPUX 64-bit       = nbdb2.sl64

#

MY_LIB=/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/nbdb2.so

#

# Change MY_DB2 to the correct DB2 instance name for your database.

#

MY_DB2=$INSTANCE       #  instance removed however confirm that it is
the correct instance

#

# Use the NetBackup schedule type to set DB2 full or incremental
options.

#

if [ "$DB2_FULL" = "1" ] ; then

        MY_SCHED=""

elif [ "$DB2_CINC" = "1" ] ; then

        MY_SCHED="INCREMENTAL"

elif [ "$DB2_INCR" = "1" ] ; then

        MY_SCHED="INCREMENTAL DELTA"

else

        MY_SCHED=""

fi

#

# Initialize the backup command line.

# Customize the number of sessions and buffer options for your
environment.

#

CMD_LINE="db2 BACKUP DATABASE $MY_DB2 $MY_SCHED LOAD $MY_LIB OPEN 4
SESSIONS BUFFER 1024"

#

# Change MY_USER to the proper DB2 user for performing backups

#

MY_USER=$db2_user       # user removed however confirmed that it is the
correct db2 user

echo "Executing: $CMD_LINE"

su - $MY_USER -c "$CMD_LINE"

RETURN_STATUS=$?

# Return 0 for success, non-zero for errors

exit $RETURN_STATUS

Excuse my ignorance on this subject as its new to the environment
however my gut feeling is that we are experiencing an issue when the "su
- " section of the script is being executed.

The /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bphdb/db2_stdout.031507 is being populated
with the below,

Executing: su - $db2_user -c db2 BACKUP DATABASE $INSTANCE ONLINE  LOAD
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/nbdb2.so WITH 2 BUFFERS BUFFER 1024 PARALLELISM
1 INCLUDE LOGS

However from /var/log/messages on the client the session being opened
for $db2_user is being opened and closed in the same millisecond.

Mar 15 14:48:36 crotmeldrt000 su(pam_unix)[7665]: session opened for
user $db2_userby (uid=0)

Mar 15 14:48:36 crotmeldrt000 su(pam_unix)[7665]: session closed for
user $db2_user

How would I go about determining if the su - is in actual fact
successful ?

if it is where could I point the DBA's into establishing why the DB2
commands once logged in are not successful.

If it is not successful how could I determine the reason why ?

Any help would be much appreciated as I think I have exhausted
everything I can think of.

Regards

David Clooney

Notice to recipient:
The information in this internet e-mail and any attachments is confidential and
may be privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the
intended addressee please notify the sender immediately by telephone. If you
are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
unlawful.

When addressed to external clients any opinions or advice contained in this
internet e-mail are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in any
applicable governing terms of business or client engagement letter issued by
the pertinent Bank of America group entity.

If this email originates from the U.K. please note that Bank of America, N.A.,
London Branch and Banc of America Securities Limited are authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority.