Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Two restores not allowed to same filesystem?

2007-03-13 17:56:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Two restores not allowed to same filesystem?
From: ddunham at taos.com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 13:56:58 -0800 (PST)
> Does NetBackup prohibit two restores to the same filesystem at the same
> time?  (e.g. lock the space for exclusive use somehow?)

I don't think so, and I don't know what mechanism that it could use
other than locking the entire filesystem, either.  Of course knowing
exactly what filesystem you're talking about might help.

> Background:
> We were running an alternate path restore of 3 streams.   One of the
> streams failed due to I/O error on read after restoring 10 files.
> Using bpimmedia and bpflist I was able to determine all the files for
> the failed stream and delete from the list the 10 that were successful.
> I then started a bprestore using that list.
>
> It gave the following log entries after mount and position:
> 15:35:11 (178059.001) INF - Beginning restore from server atucvd01 to
> client atudvd01.
> 15:35:14 (178059.001) /database/proddata01/tx_datam08.dbf
> 15:35:14 (178059.001) Changed /database/proddata01/tx_datam08.dbf to
> /database/conv2data/tx_datam08.dbf
> 15:35:36 (178059.001) Could only write 102912 of 262144 bytes to file
> /database/conv2data/tx_datam08.dbf at file offset 100372992
> 15:35:36 (178059.001) Couldn't write to file
> /database/conv2data/tx_datam08.dbf: No space left on device
> 15:35:36 (178059.001) Removing /database/conv2data/tx_datam08.dbf

What type of filesystem/OS is this?

Any similar messages in the OS messages file?

Odd that it's trying to write at an offset > 100MB, but says that it's
only trying to write 200K.  I'm assuming a sparse file.  Some
filesystems might not deal with sparse files well.

> If that isn't the case is there some other reason I would get such a no
> space left message on a filesystem that is clearly not full?

Filesystems that are badly fragmented can run out of contiguous space
before they run out of storage space.  The error message is identical,
but requires some extra hunting.  Can you create a big file on the
filesystem now?  High fragmentation would not be expected on a
filesystem that has only large files (like .dbf files).

If this is Solaris UFS, you can run 'fstyp -v <device> | grep nbfree'
and see what it reports for the 'nbfree' and 'nffree' items.

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com