Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape drive woes

2007-03-13 12:41:50
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape drive woes
From: StumpB at michigan.gov (Bob Stump)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:41:50 -0400
yes, STK/Sun is notorious for going in and changing firmware which causes the
mapping to go bad.
Remap the drives and then set up persistent binding.

>>> "Ellis, Jason" <Jason.Ellis at indymacbank.com> 3/13/2007 12:24:09 PM >>>

We have been having some problems with some of our tape drives and believe to
have narrowed it down to a problem with the drives themselves. Our current
environment is a single Master server running Windows 2003 Enterprise SP1 and
four Media servers running Windows 2003 Enterprise SP1. All our servers are
running NetBackup 5.1 MP4. About a week ago Sun (STK) was onsite to perform
maintenance. As part of the maintenance they performed testing on our drives
and updated the drive firmware to the latest revision. However, since then a
number of our drives have not been staying up. After spending several days
troubleshooting the issue from an OS and NetBackup perspective we seem to have
narrowed the problem down the drives. The behavior is that we can UP the drives
in NetBackup and they will stay up until NetBackup attempts to mount a tape and
run a backup job to the drive. These drives are shared among two Media servers,
and it seems that the device host they go DOWN on is consistent with the Media
server that initiates the backup job to the drive. Looking through the
Application Event Log I?ve noticed the following errors: TLD(0) drive 18
(device 9) is being DOWNED, status: Unable to open drive TLD(0) drive 15
(device 7) is being DOWNED, status: Unable to SCSI unload drive TLD(0) drive 19
(device 10) is being DOWNED, status: Drive does not exist in robot  Number two
looks like a problem with the drive itself, however numbers one and three
almost looking more like a device path problem within Netbackup or Windows. In
Device Manager we can see the proper number of drives and all the drives have
the proper VERITAS drivers installed. Additionally running a ?tpautoconf *t?
and a ?scan? will show the proper number of drives. We also double-checked the
SSO configuration and corrected a few errors, but this did not seem to have an
effect on the problem. Has anybody else seen anything like this before? If you
need more information on our environment let me know. Thank you in advanced for
any help you can provide. Jason Ellis
Technical Consultant, Data Protection Team
IndyMac Bank, La Mirada Datacenter
Phone: (714) 520-3414
Mobile: (714) 889-8734