Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Two Netbackup questions

2007-03-09 05:54:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Two Netbackup questions
From: Jonathan.Courteney at dkib.com (Courteney, Jonathan)
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:54:34 -0000

I've got two questions which I'm trying to find some info on. I
understand this might not be supported but ....

1) is it possible within netbackup to backup volumes on one server but
catalog them as belonging to another server entirely ? Example I have a
server called server1 drives F;G;H and I. I install a netbackup windows
client on this server and backup in the normal way. However I want
netbackup to catalog it as belonging to server2. Should I ever wish to
restore this data is will be show as originating from server2.

2) is it possible to backup data via RSH from a client with no netbackup
client software installed ? So here's my theory. So on the media server
i can run a

rsh <client> dump 0f - /mnt/volume_name > /tmp/test.dump

this gives me a unix dump file on the media server called test.dump.

What I want to do is something similar but get netbackup to write the
data to tape ie not create a local file. My understanding would be that
the remote dump process writes to the STDOUT then the netbackup job
would us it's STDIN as the input ( datastream ) and write this data to
tape.

Thanks in advance.

--
This e-mail is confidential and the information contained in it may be
privileged.  It should not be read, copied or used by anyone other than the

Dresdner Kleinwort is the trading name of the investment banking division of
Dresdner Bank AG, and operates through Dresdner Bank AG, Dresdner Kleinwort
Limited, Dresdner Kleinwort Securities Limited and their affiliated or
associated companies.  Dresdner Bank AG is a company incorporated in Germany
with limited liability and registered in England (registered no. FC007638,
place of business 30 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7PG), and is authorised by the
German Federal Financial Supervisory Authority and by the Financial Services
Authority ('FSA') and regulated by the FSA for the conduct of designated
business in the UK.  Dresdner Kleinwort Limited is a company incorporated in
England (registered no. 551334, registered office 30 Gresham Street, London
EC2V 7PG), and is authorised and regulated by the FSA.  Dresdner Kleinwort
Securities Limited is a company incorporated in England (registered no.
1767419, registered office 30 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7PG), and is
authorised and regulated by the FSA.