Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NO_SIXTEEN_BYTE_CDB touch file. Anyone else need this?

2007-03-05 20:41:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NO_SIXTEEN_BYTE_CDB touch file. Anyone else need this?
From: Len.Boyle at sas.com (Len Boyle)
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 20:41:16 -0500
Hello Kent

We ran into this when we upgraded to netbackup 6.0. But with us it was using
IBM lto-2 tape drives in an IBM 3584 library attached to netapp R200 boxes.
With out solaris and hp/ux masters writing to IBM lto-2 tape drives in the same
libraries we did not see the problem.

We put the touch file in place and have not really tracked down the root
problem. But as I understand it, the netbackup code is generating advanced scsi
code with is either not supported by the IBM lto-2 tape drive or is changed by
the netapp or is incorrect to start with or some function of the prior causes.
Most likely using a 16 byte contol block which either is not supported by the
tape hardware, but there is no problem with using the older shorter control
block.

len