Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1 running on VCB Proxy Server

2007-02-28 13:17:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1 running on VCB Proxy Server
From: Jason.Ellis at indymacbank.com (Ellis, Jason)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:17:12 -0800
I'm currently working to setup VCB in our NetBackup 5.1 MP4 and 6.0 MP4
environments. How the VCB works is that VMware provides a set of scripts
(bpstart_notify and bpend_notify) that call VMware's VCB backup
infrastructure that is also installed on the NetBackup VCB Proxy. So to
answer you question, "Yes, VCB will work with 5.1 and even 6.0 since
they both support the bpstart and bpend notify scripts."

Here are some challenges you might run into in getting VCB to work:

1.      Virtual disks that reside in two different datastores will cause
VCB backups to fail. There is a patch that is going to be released soon
from VMware to address this issue, but as of this time I do not have a
release date. According to the VMware escalation engineer I am working
with there are workarounds for this.
2.      If you have VMs that reside on a SAN attached CLARiiON and your
storage processors are set in an active/passive setup (which is normal)
if a storage processor paths failover you will be unable to backup and
VMs that reside on that LUN. This is because VCB does not work with
multi-pathing. A new version of VCB to be released will address this
issue by allowing multi-pathing to be enabled (sort of) so that if the
paths on the CLARiiON storage processors failover you can still access
the LUN.
3.      VCB cannot snapshot a VM that has its disk(s) set to persistent.

4.      When presenting the LUNs to the VCB Proxy the LUN IDs must
match.

If you contact me off-list I can send you the Symantec and VMware VCB
documentation I have.

Jason Ellis
Technical Consultant, Data Protection Team
IndyMac Bank, La Mirada Datacenter
Phone: (714) 520-3414
Mobile: (714) 889-8734