Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup benchmark & performance tuning

2007-02-28 02:12:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup benchmark & performance tuning
From: murtuja_oracle at yahoo.com (Murtuja Khokhar)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 23:12:52 -0800 (PST)
  Veritas NetBackup?
  Backup Planning and
  Performance Tuning Guide

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/281842.pdf

bob944 <bob944 at attglobal.net> wrote:
  First, congratulations on supplying a lot of useful info in the first
posting.

> We are using Netbackup 5.1MP6 on Solaris 9.
> H/W Detasils :
> Master/Media Server : v440, 4CPU, 16Gb RAM
> Tape Library : L500, 4 F-CAL Drive (LTO Gen 2)
> Network Speed : 1GBPS
> Tape library is directly connected to server.
>
> Currently when trying to take backup of local server i
> am getting 22Mbps throughput which i feel is very
> less.

Not to quibble, but I'm sure you are saying 22 megabytes, not megabits,
right? (I know someone who sized his tape HBA requirements thinking the
specs were MB/s, when they were, of course, Mb/s--so it's worth being
rigorous on the notation.)

> Current Buffer settings:
> NET_BUFFER_SZ : 262144
> NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS :128
> SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS : 262144
>
> /etc/system:
> *Added for Nebackup
> set msgsys:msginfo_msgmap=512
> [...]
>
> So i would like to know practically what is the
> maximum throughput i can get & buffer setting. What
> all changes i need to do on server to get maximum
> throughput

LTO2 drives aren't all that fast--half-height LTO2s are
manufacturer-rated at something like 24-28MB/s native and the best
rating I know of is 35MB/s. See point #2 below.

You want three things:
1. NetBackup 6.0 Performance Tuning Guide
2. Follow the guide to determine where the bottlenecks are--there's no
point in tuning NetBackup buffers if, say, the client can't supply data
fast enough.
3. When you can demonstrate to yourself that NetBackup is the slow link
in the chain, then it is worth a controlled, rigorous buffer tuning
exercise.

128 256KB buffers is way more than enough to drive an LTO2.

Veritas-bu maillist - Veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu