Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1 running on VCB Proxy Server

2007-02-28 01:14:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1 running on VCB Proxy Server
From: simon.weaver at astrium.eads.net (WEAVER, Simon (external))
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 06:14:24 -0000
Hi All
Topic of VM's came up this week, and its something I am trying to focus on
more with our current environment.

VMWare introduce a method called "Consolidated Backups" - Below is an
extract of what it can achieve....
VMware Consolidated Backup (Consolidated Backup)

- Feature that provides an easy-to-use, centralised facility for agent-free
backup of virtual machines. It simplifies backup administration and reduces
the load on ESX servers.

- The recommended way to perform daily backups of virtual machines residing
on a SAN.

- A VCB Proxy must have access to all the SAN arrays containing VMFS volumes
(data stores) with virtual disks on them.

-Changes are cached on the proxy as "transient writes" and are discard once
the disk is unmounted

Reduce the load on the ESX systems by moving the backup tasks to one or more
dedicated backup proxies

Avoid congesting and overloading the data centre network infrastructure by
enabling LAN-free backup.

Eliminate the need for a backup window by moving to a snapshot-based backup
approach.

Simplify backup administration by making optional the deployment of backup
agents in each virtual machine we back up.

Back up virtual machines that are powered off.

Would anyone know if NBU 5.1 MP5 actually would work on this? what I am
trying to understand is how it integrates with NBU - More importantly, does
anyone do anything like this? I will carry on researching from this end (and
even look at the VM Tech Boards), but if anyone has any comments, great!

Regards

Simon Weaver
3rd Line Technical Support
Windows Domain Administrator

EADS Astrium Limited, B23AA IM (DCS)
Anchorage Road, Portsmouth, PO3 5PU

Email:  <mailto:Simon.Weaver at Astrium-eads.net> Simon.Weaver at
Astrium-eads.net

privileged information or information otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, do
not copy this message or any attachments and do not use it for any purpose or
disclose its content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments
from your system.
Astrium disclaims any and all liability if this email transmission was virus
corrupted, altered or falsified.