Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup upgrade to 6.0 and Shared Storage Option

2007-02-26 13:26:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup upgrade to 6.0 and Shared Storage Option
From: Michael.Sponsler at ngc.com (Sponsler, Michael)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:26:49 -0500
 1) How does Veritas license SSO? Is it based on tape drives?

You need to have a SSO license on each server that will be using the
shared storage.

2) Does each master/media server that will be sharing the tape drives
need an individual SSO license, or one single SSO license is needed and
can be installed on all the servers?

I think your question is "buy one license to put on all servers, or does
each server need it's own individual license".  I guess this really is a
question for your sales rep.  I *should* probably know this, but I have
nothing to do with purchasing.  I don't deal with the sales guys.  You
do how ever need a SSO license on all servers that will be sharing the
device.  It's been recommended to me that each server have the same SSO
license key.  You can buy one key for multiple servers.

3) We'll be connecting the L180 to the SAN switch during the upgrade. Do
we just connect the robot to the FC switch, or we need to connect the
robot and all of the tape drives that are in it to the FC switch?

You need to connect the robot and the tape drives to the FC switch.  If
the drives weren't connected to the FC switch, how else would the
servers write to the drives?

4) We'll be running EMM on the master servers which will act as the host
allocating and deallocating tap drives. Do the master servers need to be
connected to the SAN?
No, it doesn't *need* to be.  But, if you've got enough Fibre ports on
your switch, an extra port on your master server, and no directly
connected Tape Drive to the Master Server....I'd do it just for the
Catalog Backups.

One thing to remember, which ever server has the tape drive installed
first over the Fibre San will have "control" of the tape jukebox.  I'd
also recommend setting up the SSO environment via command line.
/usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpautoconfig and /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig
are your best friends.

--
Mike Sponsler
Northrop Grumman