Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1 to 6.0 to 6.0 MP4

2007-02-25 18:03:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1 to 6.0 to 6.0 MP4
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 18:03:34 -0500
> - W2K Master with 90 Gb DB image directory
> - 11 SLES Media Servers
> - Approx. 3000 vol ser

> seems that if time allowed the best possible scenario or
> preference might be to migrate and convert to 6.0, and then
> upgrade directly to 6.0 MP4 before running any backup
> processes thus avoiding the numerous scheduler and other
> binary issues prior to the 6.0 MP4 release.

Right off the bat, there should be a media kit available by now (wasn't
released when I did my lab upgrade test) that is already at MP4.  IOW,
whatever you install is prepatched to MP4.  Load it and go.

Sounds as if you've done some homework, so you probably know this.  The
support site's "NetBackup 6.0 Upgrade Portal" is the perfect starting
place (technote 285233).  All of the important docs are listed there,
including the release impact bulletin, release notes, bailout
procedures, and the centerpiece:  the upgrade guide (hmmm, rev B--have
to check that out), technote 285590...

> 1. What best case conversion times (5.x to 6.0) have been
> experienced in similar environments?

My environment wasn't comparable (smaller), but there's no conversion of
the image directory, only the device- and media-related info gets
converted.  Since you have the downtine available, it doesn't matter but
you can defer any or all media server upgrades/conversion however you
like.  I didn't test this, but it would be tempting to plan it that way.

> 2. What problems have been experienced while patching to MP4?

Only enforcing the discipline to do it immediately.  And not applicable
if you use the mp4 media kit.

> 3. If you were to do it over today, would you proceed as
> described above?
>
> 4. Proceeding as described above, would you still consider
> engaging Symantec Consulting Services?

Not unless I were doing hostname or platform changes as part of it--and
I plan to never do either!  If my databases were a mess as revealed by
NBCC, support would walk me through fixing them as part of what they do
when you open a support call for upgrading to NetBackup 6.  Definitely
do that if you haven't already.