Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1 to 6.0 to 6.0 MP4

2007-02-25 12:25:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1 to 6.0 to 6.0 MP4
From: SJACOBSO at novell.com (Scott Jacobson)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 10:25:51 -0700
Comments please.

>From monitoring and checking the archives in this form is seems that if time
>allowed the best possible scenario or preference might be to migrate and
>convert to 6.0, and then upgrade directly to 6.0 MP4 before running any backup
>processes thus avoiding the numerous scheduler and other binary issues prior
>to the 6.0 MP4 release.

My question is four fold:

1. What best case conversion times (5.x to 6.0) have been experienced in
similar environments?

2. What problems have been experienced while patching to MP4?

3. If you were to do it over today, would you proceed as described above?

4. Proceeding as described above, would you still consider engaging Symantec
Consulting Services?

Environment:

- W2K Master with 90 Gb DB image directory
- 11 SLES Media Servers
- Approx. 3000 vol ser

NOTE: In my environment I'm fortunate, I could negotiate a three day window of
down time for an upgrade.

Thanks,
Scott J.