Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] encryption and offhost

2007-02-20 20:29:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] encryption and offhost
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:29:27 -0600
On 2/20/2007 12:03 PM, Steve Dvorak wrote:
>> A quick query. We?ve been asked to look at encryption for one of
>> our systems. The client that needs encryption is currently being
>> backed up with vss/clariion snapshot integration to off-host backup
>> on the media server. In this case what would be the process for
>> encryption and restoring from those backups ,? Should encryption be
>> set on the client, media server or both?

> One or the other.  The client in this case would be whichever system
> ultimately does the backup.  Media Server Encryption Option provides
> key management and compression, which are extremely nice features.
> But with one client, it is not a huge benefit.  If your plan is to
> add other clients to be encrypted at some point, MSEO is the right
> way to go, otherwise, Client encryption is probably more cost
> effective.

For a single client that has extra CPU power, client-side encryption is
not too bad.  For a handful of clients, MSEO might be the right way to
go.  If you're going to do everything, purchase an encryption appliance
like a Decru/NetApp Cryptostor.

We decided to go the Decru approach - we don't have to worry about which
clients are encrypted and which aren't, or if data was copied from a
server that has encrypted backups to a server that doesn't.  We know
that if the tape goes offsite, it's encrypted.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org