Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Mysteriously down tape drives

2007-02-20 16:52:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Mysteriously down tape drives
From: belial44 at gmail.com (Matt Ungaro)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 15:52:34 -0600
System is Veritas Netbackup 5.1 MP6
1 Master/Media server running on Windows 2003 standard edition, SP1
Library is a Qualstar TLS-8466 with 4 drives. 2 LTOII that are attached to
our Fibre Channel SAN via a SCSI to fibre bridge, 2 LTOIII that are directly
fibre attached to our SAN. All are going through a McData Spherion 4500.

Seemingly random issue that is occuring is that on occasion our LTOIII
drives will be reported in Netbackup as down. What I am looking for is, what
are the correct Netbackup processes to activate logging on to get some
troubleshooting information? The drive doesn't report as having any problems
from the library's perspective, and there are no error messages on the
fabric switches. The Netbackup server is zoned to each fibre port in the
library individually, so there are 3 zones:
Netbackup server to SCSI to fibre bridge (Controls robotic arm, and 2 LTOII
drives)
Netbackup server to LTOIII drive 1
Netbackup server to LTOIII drive 2.

We never have any issues with the LTOII drives or the robotic arm, but the
LTOIII drives go down for seemingly no reason whatsoever. Any assistance
with troubleshooting this issue is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Matt Ungaro

--
After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want
to see the manager."