Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Sort of OT: Aptare/HBSM/3rd Party NBU Reporting Users MUST READ

2007-02-20 15:34:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Sort of OT: Aptare/HBSM/3rd Party NBU Reporting Users MUST READ
From: RMajor at vericenter.com (Major, Rusty)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:34:46 -0600
Just a heads up for those using 3rd party reporting/trending tools who
are on or plan to upgrade to 5.1MP6:

There is a bug in a library file in 5.1 MP6 that will cause Aptare
StorageConsole/HBSM (Hitachi's rebranded name of the product), possibly
other reporting tools and maybe even the included NBU tools (bpdbjobs,
etc.) to not collect, at a minimum, total MB, MB/s, and tapes written
for all/most jobs. To my knowledge this has only affected a couple of
other Aptare customers, but it has certainly caused me lots of pain and
I still have several weeks of missing info.

Quoting the engineer when I asked him about any data loss,  "The data is
stored correctly in the appropriate NetBackup databases. Any reporting
tools that rely on libVcom such as bpdbjobs, will truncate date and time
output information until the fix is applied."

My case number with Veritas/Symantec for this issue was 280-994-548. If
you plan on upgrading to 5.1 MP6 and use any 3rd party reporting tool,
especially Aptare/HBSM, make sure you get the updated library file from
Veritas. Since applying the Veritas fix, all data has been gathered
correctly.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP
Sr. Data Assurance Engineer
(281) 584-4693