Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Questions about NetBackup Shared Storage Option (SSO)

2007-02-20 09:50:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Questions about NetBackup Shared Storage Option (SSO)
From: unixlifebox at gmail.com (Rongsheng Fang)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:50:55 -0500
Hi,

Currently we are running NB 5.0 and doing LAN-based backups. We have one
tape library (StorageTek L180) that is directly connected to the master
server. We'll be upgrading our backup infrastructure to Netbackup 6.0
and move from LAN-based backup to SAN-based backup using NetBackup's SSO
option.

Even though I did do my homework and read through "Shared Storage Option
(SSO) Topics" of "Veritas NetBackup 6.0 Media Manager SA's Guide" page
by page, I still have a few questions:

1) How does Veritas license SSO? Is it based on tape drives?

2) Does each master/media server that will be sharing the tape drives
need an individual SSO license, or only one single SSO license is needed
and can be installed on all the servers?

3) We'll be connecting the tape library (StorageTek L180) to the SAN
switch during the upgrade. Do we just connect the robot to the FC
switch, or we need to connect the robot and all of the tape drives that
are in it to the FC switch?

4) We'll be running EMM on the master servers which will act as the host
allocating and deallocating tap drives. In this case, do the master
servers need to be connected to the SAN?

Thanks,

Rongsheng