Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB51MP6 Backups hanging after Sol10 patch

2007-02-15 11:01:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB51MP6 Backups hanging after Sol10 patch
From: Eric.Johnson at mtsallstream.com (Johnson, Eric)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:01:21 -0500
We've installed the latest Solaris 10 patch cluster (we were at kernel
118822-24 before I believe, we're now at 118833-36). Since then, backups
that go from network to tape will randomly freeze up and stop writing
data, although the job sits there and looks active. Sometimes it will
take a few hours, but it's fairly consistent, and every night we'll get
about 2 dozen clients who fail because of frozen streams, or closed
window due to frozen streams hogging the total available. Some go
through fine. It seems random.

Backups that go to our DSSUs work just fine. Staging from DSSU to tape
works fine as well. Maybe it is a multiplexing issue?

I can find no errors or anything abnormal in /var/adm/messages. I've
enabled level 5 logging on bptm, but it seems ok too. Nothing that shows
up as an error.

The hardware is:

Sun E400 4x400MHz UltraSPARC II CPUs

4 GB RAM

20x36GB internal disks

7TB of StorEdge 3511 SATA disk for DSSU (Fiber attached)

StorEdge L100+L25 with stacklink (SCSI attached)

4xHP Ultrium LTO2 tape drives. (SCSI attached)

Software:

Solaris 10 OS

NetBackup 5.1 MP6

We tried the patch cluster back in November or so as well (118833-17 if
I recall) and encountered the same problem. Rolling it back resolved it.
Now there's too many security patches that are dependent on the later
kernels, so rolling back is becoming less of an option.

Any ideas?

Eric