Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LRE: NBU and Aptare custom reports ..

2007-02-14 16:17:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LRE: NBU and Aptare custom reports ..
From: steven.green at teldta.com (Green, Steven)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:17:53 -0600
For what it's worth I have also had a strong need for the same report
functionality. We use the Notes field to document failures for critical servers
as part of SOX compliance reporting. Having a simple way to generate a list of
failures for a server group with any attached Notes is part of our need during
SOX audits. The shortcoming of the portal (GUI) interface is that you cannot
get a concise summary of backup job failures with the Note field included. This
is particularly problematic for backup jobs that are multistreamed and may (in
our case) contain 150-200 individual job streams. When such a job fails, for
whatever reason, the challenge becomes deciding which of the multitude of
failed jobs to assign a Note, then identifying which of those failures had the
note text during an audit.

What I requested from APTARE was the ability to create (or they could be nice
and create one for me  :-)) a custom automated report that would include all
backup failures (something similar to the job summary report) and for each job
failure, include any note text associated with the job. At the time of my
inquiry I was told the Notes field was not an "exposed" field through the
auto-report SQL queries. Supposedly APTARE has acknowledged my request as being
a useful suggestion and the request has gone to into the bowels of the
organization as a future enhancement. I have no idea when/if it will ever see
the light of day, but I'm hopeful. For us, this would make our lives immensely
easier for compliance reporting and SOX auditing.

(BTW ... I really wish APTARE would "simplify" the XML report designer for
those of us who do not have the time to become SQL/XML programmers in addition
to our myriad other duties.)

#!/usr/local/man/steve green :: Storage Administration

Telephone & Data Systems, Inc.

608.664.8210 (immobile) :: 608.219.2106 (mobile)

What can be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence.