Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] master and media servers merge

2007-02-13 20:48:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] master and media servers merge
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:48:15 -0600
On 2/13/2007 8:23 AM, Krzys wrote:
> So they are looking to merger Sun Solaris 9 box netbackup into Windows 2003
> server that currently is mediaserver.

We'll answer the easy question first.  There is no supported way to move
a master server from Solaris to Windows.  You can contact Symantec
Professional Services but this is an extremely difficult exercise.

You can not promote a media server to a master server.  You can not
rename a master server.  You can not change platforms with your master
server.  Pick your master server carefully when you start out because
you're generally stuck with that solution forever (or until Symantec
eventually allows the functionality we all have been asking for for the
past 5+ years).

Your best way is to make a Windows server a master server and move the
robot to it and start writing all of your new backups to it.  If you
need to do a restore, shut down NetBackup on your Windows master,
connect the tape drive to your Solaris master, and do your restore.
Hopefully your retentions are not that long that you'll go through your
tapes reasonably quickly.  When you get a small manageable set of old
tapes, you can bpimport them on the Windows master so they're now
cataloged.  When you've got all the tapes cataloged in Windows, do
whatever with the Solaris server.

Incidentally, 6.0MP3 was not a good release - upgrade to MP4 and you'll
be much better off.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA