Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup of multimedia system...

2007-02-13 20:19:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup of multimedia system...
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:19:14 -0600
On 2/13/2007 7:42 AM, Hampus Lind wrote:
> I would like to get in contact with people backing up large
> multimedia systems, ie digital pictures, audio and video. I am also
> interested in hearing about how you store these applications ie in a
> SAN on FC diskarrays, SATA drives or some kind of HSM solution which
> includes tape?
>
> Which way to go for ~100TB multimedia data (video): traditional
> backup or HSM solution?

We're into the hundreds of TB and hundreds of millions of files (and I
wouldn't be surprised if we're over a billion files).  Many of these are
small scanned images.

We still use traditional backups although we have some FlashBackups in
place.  We're also in the process of implementing continuous offsite
replication since for some applications, no matter how good your
backups, can't be down for the time it takes to restore from tape.

> When will traditional backup not be an option any longer, when do we
> need to apply a HSM solution?

HSM isn't a solution for everybody - sometimes a good old fashioned
delete would really help, and sometimes the files need to be accessible
faster than HSM can retrieve them.  HSM has a lot of issues, especially
if you're doing it to tape.

> Some of the multimedia systems do include billions of smaller files
> (pictures and audio).

At least your pictures and audio are probably larger than our scanned
images!

> I would like to find a platform which I could apply to every digital
> system no mater the size of the system.

I have not yet found a file system that likes hundreds of millions of
small files.  I have found a lot of file systems don't hate them though.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org