Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Linux media server recommendations

2007-02-07 11:41:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Linux media server recommendations
From: austin.murphy at gmail.com (Austin Murphy)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 11:41:35 -0500
On 2/7/07, Whelan, Patrick <Patrick.Whelan at colt.net> wrote:
> Sorry, I was intentionally vague to see what kind of suggestions I would
> receive. However, that said, the current environment has a clustered Solaris
> Master server and 4 HP-UX media servers backing up approximately 700 clients
> of various OSes. We are adding some new clients with approximately 11TB,
> total, of data to be backed up and I was just looking for ideas.

A 1U HP DL145 w/ a dual port Fibre HBA is about as budget as it gets.
 They have dual gigabit ethernet onboard.  NB5.1 on RHEL3 has an issue
with the SSO tape drives.  If you scan the fibre bus while a drive is
in use it won't find it.  I don't know if this is fixed in 6.0 or
RHEL4.

I think the Sun "niagara" systems look like the ultimate netbackup
boxes.  Just add fibre, disk, and tape..   T2000 for master, T1000's
for medias...    They are all optimized for IO and multiple
threads/processes.  Quad GigE onboard, 32GB RAM max...

Austin