Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Bare Metal Restore installation and configuration

2007-02-06 23:51:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Bare Metal Restore installation and configuration
From: krzys at perfekt.net (Krzys)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 23:51:03 -0500 (EST)
I am fairly new to netbackup and have most of the stuff covered that I needed
do... But I wanted to implement BMR and here is what I found that I need to do
guess. But I do not have the details... Is there any easy (not like 5000 pages
to read) quick start documents on setting up and getting BMR to work? Help is
greatly appreciated. Pointers to tutorials or easy guides would be super, or if
you have any experience that you could share that would be best... Thanks for
help.

Chris

The Initial Implementation
Together, the Bare Metal Restore components provide an environment that allows
the backup data stored in NetBackup to be used to completely restore the client
without first having to install the operating system.
The basic process for installing and configuring Bare Metal Restore into your
environment is outlined below:
1. Install the Bare Metal Restore server software on the Bare Metal Restore
main
server. The Bare Metal Restore software is installed using the appropriate
method for installing products for each platform, as shown below:
o IBM AIX: installp
o HP-UX: swinstall
o Sun Solaris: pkgadd
2. Configure the Bare Metal Restore main server.
3. Install and configure the Bare Metal Restore file servers and boot servers
(only required if utilizing network boot).
4. Install and configure the Bare Metal Restore clients. By default, the client
configuration procedure creates a bpstart_notify command that automatically
saves the clients configuration before each scheduled backup. If a
bpstart_notify command already exists, then you must manually add the command
that saves the client machines Bare Metal Restore configuration, known as
SaveConfig.
5. Create the SRTs for each operating system type and version. The SRTs are
derived from the installation media of the operating systems and third-party
applications.
6. Create the boot images for each operating system type and version.
7. Associate the Bare Metal Restore clients with the appropriate SRTs and boot
images. The Bare Metal Restore main server is used to associate a client with a
boot image and a SRT prior to restoration. This procedure can also be performed
at restoration time, since the client does not have to be operational at the
time.