Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NB 6.0 & Aptare

2007-02-01 21:13:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NB 6.0 & Aptare
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 20:13:25 -0600
On 2/1/2007 2:03 PM, Hindle, Greg wrote:
> Does anyone use netbackup 6.0 and the Aptare reporting software?

Yup - works like a charm.  I have used Aptare's Storage Console software
for several years and have absolutely no reason to migrate to a "free"
NOM.  I don't see NOM being a full-fledged reporting packages - that's
the *extremely* expensive Backup Reporter, but more of an "operations
manager" which is, after all, it's title.  You'll have some operational
control with NOM that you won't have with Storage Console (e.g. down and
up tape drives) but you'll give up reporting functionality to get it.
Nothing, of course, stops you from running both.  NOM is free so go
ahead and try it out.  Don't forget that it does require a separate
server though - don't even think about it installing it on your master
server.

I've heard that NOM had a lot of bugs in its early releases, and it's
only been out since 6.0.  With MP4, it's actually supposed to work.
Storage Console has a long track record and I trust it to keep my
history intact.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA