Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Slow restores on Windows Netbackup client

2007-01-31 21:07:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Slow restores on Windows Netbackup client
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 20:07:18 -0600
On 1/31/2007 4:09 PM, Leidy, Jason D wrote:
> Is it possible to fine the Netbackup Client for Windows (5.1 MP4) to get
> performance during restores? It is taking 3 times longer to restore
> large file servers during our DR tests than it takes to back them up. We
> have done all the tuning we can do on the master server (running Solaris
> 9, NB Enterprise Server 5.1 MP4). We have gigabit switches and cards,
> and decent servers. Granted we are restoring 2 million plus files on
> each Windows file server.

Two things you can do.  First, turn off multi-plexing if it's enabled.
This will slow down backups but speed up restores.  Pick your poison :-)

Seconly, use the FlashBackup client - this will significantly speed up
backups as well as restores.  Millions of files on a single file system
will suck, pretty much no matter what you do, and it's not just Windows
that has the issue here.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA