Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 6.0 DSSU Behavior

2007-01-24 15:45:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 6.0 DSSU Behavior
From: Karl.Rossing at Federated.CA (Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:45:48 -0600
My comments are below but i thought that I'd start with my config.

Sun V240 Solaris 10 Master/Media(There is only one)
4GB of Ram
Dual 1.5Ghz
Two scsi LTO2 Autloaders.
Each Autoloader has one LTO2 drive.
Each autoloader is on a separate LVD channel.
1 dual port 2Gig fibre channel card.
One Gigbit Ethernet SX Fibre Card
The SAN has four 2GB fibre channel ports.

veritas-bu-bounces at mailman.eng.auburn.edu wrote on 01/24/2007 02:10:58 PM:

> What are the advantages / disadvantages of assigning multiple DSSUs to
> the same volume?

Slow speed. What i have done is connect each DSSU to it's own Fibre
Channel Port. This way i can (in theory) get 60MB/Sec per port. This was
done on Solaris and I only have two DSSU's.

I have to say that i did not bench mark 1 volume for two dssu's. It might
be beneficial to run a bkkar32 on the DDSU to see how fast you can pull
data off.

> Example - I've got a 2TB volume on a media server (/array or E:\) that
> has two folders on it, DSSU1 and DSSU2.  Both are configured with a 98%
> High Water Mark and 80% Low Water Mark (defaults.)

The issue that I'm having with the high water mark is that Solaris doesn't
delete the data fast enough. So for the time being, i have dropped the
high water mark to 90%.

I also try to make my DSSU's 1.5x larger than one nightly backup. This
way, if i have tape drive issues, i can deal with them in the morning.

<bitch>
One things that bugs me is that the "final destination volume pool". If i
want to move data to a different volume pool, I have to change it and
remember to set it back to my daily. For the time being I'm sending my
monthend data to the drive directly. Shoe shinning be damned.
</bitch>