Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Symantec Support for AFS Backups

2007-01-19 16:06:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Symantec Support for AFS Backups
From: kfhemness at ucdavis.edu (Kathryn Hemness)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:06:57 -0800 (PST)
Greetings,

Symantec recently sent me a letter letting me know they are researching
market demand for OpenAFS usage to determine if their decision to
drop support for AFS backups should be reconsidered.  Their dropping
of AFS support is based on their perception that only a handful
of customers use the NetBackup AFS backup capability.

In my backup enterprise, I'm currently backing up about 6TB (in the
full backups, but I also do daily incrementals), and the AFS usage
has grown in the past year and we expect to increase the AFS storage
upwards of 10TB.

The Symantec representative indicated they will be finalizing
findings and making recommendations within the next two weeks, so
if you have plans on on implementing AFS at your organization,
I would recommend contacting shawnda_recksiedler at symantec.com.

Also, if you want any information on how AFS backups and restores
work, I can share my experiences.

--kathy