Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Yet another bpstart/bpend script question

2007-01-18 22:41:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Yet another bpstart/bpend script question
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:41:31 -0600
On 1/18/2007 6:25 PM, Ellis, Jason wrote:
> I really need to capture the STREAM_NUMBER if possible to help mitigate
> a job with multiple data streams. My idea is to use lock files to
> prevent the bpstart_notify from running once one stream has already
> started, and the bpend_notify script from kicking off until the last
> stream has completed.

This is a lost cause so save yourself some work.  There is no guarantee
that the last stream won't complete before an earlier stream and unless
you disallow retries completely, the task gets harder and harders.

What are you going to do if stream 1 starts, gets partially done, has a
tape error, and retries?  What are you going to do if the last stream
finishes early?  What are you going to do if the last stream dies
completely and can't finish?

The problem is much harder than it looks...

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org