Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FlashBackup and NEW_STREAM

2007-01-18 14:38:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FlashBackup and NEW_STREAM
From: Jason.Ellis at indymacbank.com (Ellis, Jason)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:38:31 -0800
I'm testing FlashBackup to backup a large volume with millions of small
files at raw volume speeds with the ability to perform single file
restores. I know FlashBackup supports multiple data streams with
multiple devices, but is there a way to use the NEW_STREAM directive on
a single volume to get multiple data streams from one device (this is a
large LUN with multiple spindles so I'm not worried about head
thrashing). I'm getting about 18 MB/sec right now (a far cry from the 1
MB/sec without FlashBackup) and would like to get more speed if
possible, hence multiple data streams. I'm thinking that it is not
possible since I am technically accessing raw volume, not the file
system.

Thanks in advanced.

Jason Ellis
Technical Consultant, Data Protection Team
IndyMac Bank, La Mirada Datacenter
Phone: (714) 520-3414
Mobile: (714) 889-8734