Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas-bu] Data Domain with NBU

2007-01-15 11:55:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas-bu] Data Domain with NBU
From: mark_t_wragge at yahoo.ie (mark wragge)
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:55:36 +0000 (GMT)
Hi mike, i have implemented Data Domain systems on a number of sites using
legato and netbackup.The data domain boxes have worked very well at all sites
with excellent compression ratios. The support from data domain has been great
during configuration and afterwards.The best part about them is that they
eliminate tape and library errors and maintenance (apart from the fact that the
data is cloned to tape later).

  The only occasional issues we have had with Data Domain Systems would be:
  Storage Unit (DD tape device) was unavailable a number of times and backup
failed during the backup- resolved by stopping and starting veritas services or
rebooting master server.

  One interesting point to remember is that the backup to DD disk may not be
faster than SAN attached tape. You are writing to a NAS file system so there is
a performance overhead. On one site we had to convince the customer that a
decrease in backup speed was worth it to avoid tape/library errors, tape
management and to acheive compression and data replication.

  Mark