Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How much space is needed for a backup?

2007-01-11 01:33:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How much space is needed for a backup?
From: simon.weaver at astrium.eads.net (WEAVER, Simon)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 06:33:53 -0000
Greg
Depends on the size of the disk. you may well be best to configure VSP for a
specific volume.
Also found that VSP does slow the backup process down, and in many cases,
still did not capture the open files correctly.

As a rule (from the old 3.4 days) I think you had to calculate at least 10%
for the cache based on the amount of Data backed up (ie: 100GB Drive, then
10GB cache or something like this).

Leaving the default, allows VSP to consume all of it - slows the backup
down, to a point it brings the backup to a halt!

Cannot comment on Solaris, but on Windows it left a large tmp file that can
be cleared down by using a sysinternals tool or reboot :-) - File was
something like vspcachexxxx.vsp

In many cases, I found turning it on or off made no difference to the files
backed up, but the speed was dramitically improved.

HTH

Regards

Simon Weaver
3rd Line Technical Support
Windows Domain Administrator

EADS Astrium Limited, B23AA IM (DCS)
Anchorage Road, Portsmouth, PO3 5PU

Email:  <mailto:Simon.Weaver at Astrium-eads.net> Simon.Weaver at
Astrium-eads.net