Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 2 questions about NDMP

2007-01-10 08:27:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 2 questions about NDMP
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 08:27:11 -0500
#1 You can't multiplex NDMP backups, so you need multiple tape drives to
run multiple parallel streams.
Also, you need to increment the "maximum jobs per client" in your
master's "global attributes" to a value greater than, or equal to the
number of streams you want to run concurrantly, and finally, if you have
mulitiple streams configured in the same policy, you must either
"uncheck" the "limit number of jobs per policy" option in that policies
attributes, or check it and set the value greater than, or equal to, the
number of concurrant streams you want to run.

#2 is correct. NDMP backups should *NOT* be fragmented.
You can do an NDMP backup to a STU with a set fragment size, but you may
not be able to restore.....the backup and restore complete with Status
0, but no data is restored.
Same goes if you do an NDMP backup to a NON-fragmented STU, then Vault
or bpduplicate to a fragmented STU....you will not be able to restore
from the duped image....however, if you have fragmented images that you
are not able to restore from, you can duplicate that image to another
STU without a frag size set and it will reassemble the image with
fragments, and you will be able to restore/recover from the new image.

Paul

--

La version fran?aise suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of
this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately
from

Le pr?sent courriel peut contenir de l'information privil?gi?e ou
confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute
diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires d?sign?s est interdite. Si vous
recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer imm?diatement et envoyer sans
d?lai ?
l'exp?diteur un message ?lectronique pour l'aviser que vous avez ?limin? de
votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel re?u.