Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SSO configuration

2007-01-08 19:13:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SSO configuration
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 18:13:49 -0600
On 1/8/2007 7:58 AM, Deiter Scott wrote:
> Our new sun sl500 robot will contain 5 fiber connected tape drives along
> with it's own fiber connection.
> Currently we have four sun/solaris servers connected to the emc san one
> of these is our master/media server
>
> Our goal is to setup two of these as san media servers.
>
> Do we need dedicated hba's on the media and master servers for the
> connection to the robot or can we use the existing hba's that are used
> for the san.

Need?  No.  You can share disk and tape with the same HBAs.
Want?  Yes.  Ideally, you would separate your disk and tape traffic.
However, this is definitely not a requirement - we still don't have
separate HBAs for our master server (although the media servers do) and
the master does a lot of DSSU and tape traffic traffic over the same
HBAs.  It works.

> We are still searching the manuals for the correct config.

It's a best practise to separate disk and tape traffic, not a
requirement, so it depends on your definition of "correct config"...

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org