Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup Encryption

2007-01-05 10:25:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup Encryption
From: Len.Boyle at sas.com (Len Boyle)
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 10:25:45 -0500
Good Day Pondy

I did not notice any change between netbackup 5 and 6  in performance for the
encryption option.

The encryption option uses  large quantities of cpu on the client. If you have
a client with plenty of spare cpu, you should see no difference in the backup
speeds. But you will lose compression of the data at the tape drive if you are
using  the tape hardware to compress your data. We have not tried software
compression with the software encryption option.
If your client has little or no spare cpu cycles, you will see a slow down in
the backup speeds.

There is almost no management of the encryption keys with the netbackup
encryption feature. You have to make sure that if you want to restore data to a
client, that the key that was used to encrypt the data is installed on the
client. So if you have data from client A from nov last year and want to
restore it to client B. And you have data from client C from last jan that you
want to restore to client B. And you have data from client B  from yesterday
that you want to restore   to client B. You must have a keyfile with keys that
match all three sets of data. Note-  as  far as I know there is only one active
keyfile on the client and no  way to tell netbackup to look at more then one
keyfile when search for a matching key for a restore.

If this morning you had changed the key on client B and you plan to do a backup
on client B using the new key, you must make sure that this new key is the
correct position in the keyfile. As the first key is the one used for backups.

Unless your keyfiles for the different clients are all the same [And you can do
this by maintaining a keyfile on one client and copying it to other clients]
you must either do all the restores with a different keyfile installed on the
client, or build a new keyfile with all the keys installed. With the current
key installed last, even if it was already installed in the keyfile.

len