Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle Policy - Solution

2007-01-04 15:21:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle Policy - Solution
From: ssesar at mitre.org (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 15:21:52 -0500
The one problem with the "wizard" architecture (at least, last that I
checked), is that one script needs to be maintained for each SID. Make
that two, if your backup strategy includes hot and cold backups. Factor
in potential differences in parallelism on databases which reside on
faster disk, versus those on slower disk, and you've got even more
scripts to maintain.

My solution was to create a single, monolithic script, which, based on
input from the NBU schedule being run, determines whether or not it's a
hot or cold backup, if cold, shuts down the associated apps, shuts down
the SID, brings it up in startup mount mode (also cooked in some logic
to test to see if the database actually succeeded in shutting down -
after a period of time, a shutdown abort is issued), builds and executes
the RMAN code that I want and brings the SID/apps back up. This way,
I've got one script to manage, not 160+.

--Steve

Curtis Preston wrote:
> You said:
>

>> 4 - The default scripts are terrible, and while all this customization
>> is possible you really have to "dive in" and learn everything about how
>> RMAN and NBU communicate to make this happen. As far as I am concerned
>> RMAN telling NBU which policy and schedule to use should be STANDARD.
>>

> Are you talking about the example scripts, or the scripts produced by
> the wizard?  I think the scripts that are produced by the wizard are
> pretty good, and include the logic you're looking for.  It does a check
> for what type of schedule is running, then passes the appropriate
> variable to RMAN, last time I checked.  You'll have to edit it, of
> course, to get it to call the right one.

===================================

   Steven L. Sesar
   Lead Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
   UNIX Application Services R101
   The MITRE Corporation
   202 Burlington Road - MS K101
   Bedford, MA 01730