Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle Policy - Solution

2007-01-04 13:28:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle Policy - Solution
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:28:17 -0500
FYI all / after getting tons of feedback here and some from the Symantec
Forums and lots of testing w/ my DBAs I've come up with the following
solution to my issue.

1 - RMAN only uses the "Default-Application" schedule because you don't
specify in RMAN which policy and schedule you want to use. Previously we
used "older" Netbackup scripts with a static .rvc file for backups.
We've begun using the "new" 6.0 scripts which echo RMAN statements into
rman so you can use NBU Environment variables. So... by adding the
following line to the RMAN .cmd

echo send 'NB_ORA_POLICY=%NB_ORA_CLASS%,
NB_ORA_SCHED=%NB_ORA_PC_SCHED%_';

after opening the channel, but before starting the backup the "child
jobs" will assign to specific shecules as opposed to the default.

(Thank you Austin for shooting this one down quickly!)

2 - You have to create a "mirror" application backup schedule (which the
child jobs run under) with a simmilar name to make this work. In the
example above... the Full Application Backup SCHEDULE1 gets passed to
RMAN which "sends" (via the send command) NB_ORA_SCHED=SCHEDULE1_
(notice the _ underscore) which is the name of my APPLICATION backup
schedule, where my volume pool is specified.

3 - The "full backup" schedule is mroe of a "trigger" than anything
else. It starts at the specified time and passes variables to RMAN.
(Which using the default script does little with them. /sigh) Modifying
your RMAN scripts to specify policy and schedule (static if required)
allows you to make this much easier, and you can even start backups via
Windows Tash Scheduler or CRON.

4 - The default scripts are terrible, and while all this customization
is possible you really have to "dive in" and learn everything about how
RMAN and NBU communicate to make this happen. As far as I am concerned
RMAN telling NBU which policy and schedule to use should be STANDARD.

-Jonathan