Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Symantec ?!Support?!

2007-01-04 11:12:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Symantec ?!Support?!
From: JMARTI05 at intersil.com (Martin, Jonathan (Contractor))
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 11:12:15 -0500

A while back there was a thread going about how good/bad Symantec
support is.  I recently submitted and closed my first case (after
solving the issue myself) and replied the following to their "Technical
Support Feedback" survey.  We didn't have Netbackup support here for
many years, and only bought it to upgrade to 6.0.  Considering my
initial experience I can only hope it gets better (although that so far
looks unlikely) or I've got a feeling we won't be bothering with support
in the future.

4. You have indicated dissatisfaction with one or more of the case
handling aspects. Please use the comment field below to provide specific
examples.

Where do I start?

1 - When I call I want to talk to a competent technician right away.
Not wait 8 hours for someone to get back to me.  What's the point of
paying for 24x7 support if I'm not going to talk to someone right away?
Does my "8 hour" wait continue for 8 hours - 24 hours a day versus a 5x9
contract where I only "burn" 9 waiting hours a day?

2 - When I ask to be called back after hours at a specific number I want
to be called on that number, not my desk because I don't work at
10:00PM.

3 - How many times do I have to tell the phone screener that my
company's email address standard is not first initial, last name?!  It
took me 2 days and several calls to get it strait that my email address
was jmarti05 at intersil.com <mailto:jmarti05 at intersil.com>  NOT
jmartin05 at intersil.com <mailto:jmartin05 at intersil.com> .  I just put in
another case and the same mistake was made!

4 - We spent 2 days going back and forth via email to work on COMMON
ISSUES that had NOTHING TO DO with my problem.  Even after I had solved
my own problem, I continued sending the support guy log files and
command line outputs just to see where it would go and HE NEVER RESOLVED
IT.

Overall my first Symantec Support went poorly, and my second isn't going
much better.

Jonathan Martin
Systems & Security Operations
Intersil Corporation