Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] STK8500 Issues [SOLVED]

2006-12-26 08:10:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] STK8500 Issues [SOLVED]
From: jpiszcz at lucidpixels.com (Justin Piszcz)
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 08:10:10 -0500 (EST)
The root problem was the correspondence between the ACSLS addresses and
the Veritas (SCSI/path) Drive ID numbers.

In short:

1. Media server had 4 drives.
2. The ACSLS addresses were correct for the 4 drives, BUT...
3. The drives did not correspond correctly to the SN# + Drive Index in
   Veritas.

Example:

INCORRECT:
ACSLS: 0,0,0,1 <-> Drive Index 3 [/dev/st/nh0c0t0l0]
ACSLS: 0,0,1,0 <-> Drive Index 2 [/dev/st/nh1c0t0l0]
ACSLS: 0,1,0,0 <-> Drive Index 1 [/dev/st/nh2c0t0l0]
ACSLS: 1,0,0,0 <-> Drive Index 0 [/dev/st/nh3c0t0l0]

CORRECT:
ACSLS: 0,0,0,1 <-> Drive Index 0 [/dev/st/nh0c0t0l0]
ACSLS: 0,0,1,0 <-> Drive Index 1 [/dev/st/nh1c0t0l0]
ACSLS: 0,1,0,0 <-> Drive Index 2 [/dev/st/nh2c0t0l0]
ACSLS: 1,0,0,0 <-> Drive Index 3 [/dev/st/nh3c0t0l0]

I had VERITAS drive indicies backwards.  The weird part of this entire
problem was that backups worked even with the wrong addresses to the
correct Drive Indicies within VERITAS if I ran 1 backup to each drive, 1
media server at a time.  However, there'd always be issues if you kicked
off backups to run to all of the drives in the robot.  I can now run
backups at any time in any duration in any quantity and there are no
issues.

One very important note at the bottom, be sure to check this!

Basically you just need to double and triple check that the SN#s match
from the ACSLS's query drive output and they properly correspond to the
Drive Index IDs via tpautoconf -t (to verify SN#).

** IMPORTANT NOTE: Something I figured out myself and then VERITAS
confirmed it.  If you have INCORRECT addressing and you do backups to
tapes, when the tapes are used again, they will try to go the drive that
originally wrote them-- EVEN after you fix the addressing issue!  They
MUST be EXPIRED first with bpexpdate -d 0 -m MEDIA_ID so they lose that
information.  If at any point you have an addressing problem and write to
tapes, BE SURE that you EXPIRE ALL TAPES written to during that testing
phase before you do more testing-- after you ensure the
address/scsi/acsls mapping is correct of course.

Hope this comes in handy for someone else trying to interface NetBackup
with ACSLS :)

Justin.