Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Help: New robot not taking old Tapes !

2006-12-24 14:45:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Help: New robot not taking old Tapes !
From: bob944 at attglobal.net (bob944)
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:45:15 -0500
> I have replaced L100 with L500 tape library on a veritas netbackup
> 6.0 environment.
>
> Now I hv configured new L500 and when I am adding old media
> ( used with L100 with valid backups) its not allowing me to
> do, saying duplicate media and error 37.

Which is what it should do.  If your configuration _still_ has tape
A12345 in robot 0 (that is the key--you haven't physically or logically
removed it) and you introduce a tape A12345 into robot 1, the safe and
logical assumption is that you are trying to introduce a new tape with
the same label.

There may be new wrinkles in NetBackup 6, but the correct way to handle
moving media in NetBackup has always been:
1.  Move (GUI or vmchange) the media to standalone (which is exactly
what you're doing physically when you pull the tapes out of the robot)
_before_ disconnecting/deleting the old robot.
2.  Physically put the media in their new robot, connect/configure it if
not done already.
3.  Inventory the new robot.  NetBackup updates the locations of
whatever tapes it finds from standalone to the new VG.

No need to memorize this or another sequence; memorize "logically tell
NetBackup what you're physically doing--and tell NetBackup the changes
while the hardware exists."