Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Firewall setup

2006-12-18 10:37:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Firewall setup
From: Philip.Weber at egg.com (Weber, Philip)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:37:48 -0000
We've gone firewall-mad over the last couple of years and now pretty
much all of our clients are behind at least one firewall from the
perspective of the NetBackup servers.  In general we open ports 13782,
13724 and 13720 in both directions, to make life simpler.  This can be
reduced so that only 13782 is open from the DMZ - which is what we do
for clients in the "real" DMZ.  Set the clients to use vnetd, in the
clients tab of the master server properties (or use bpclient).

We do occasionally have connection errors and currently have a big issue
in our NB 5.1 MP5 environment, with frequent but irregular "hanging
backups", where the backup has apparently completed but hangs at 99% or
100%.  Seems to be because the final call from the client back to bpbrm
is not being received by the media server.  Seems to be something in our
environment but we are in the process of trying to prove this between
Symantec and our Network support team.

Also in some cases have firewalls between media/master servers which is
a whole new problem...

Phil Weber
Business Technology (Egg)
Storage Technical Services - Senior UNIX Technologist