Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Oracle Rman - is it necessary to stop and start the oracle services

2006-12-13 14:00:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Oracle Rman - is it necessary to stop and start the oracle services
From: ckstehman at pepco.com (ckstehman AT pepco DOT com)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:00:40 -0500
Did you link your "oracle/lib/ libobk.so" file to the file installed by
the oracle agent (The path may be different on Windows for Oracle)
I am not sure how that works on Windows?

=============================
Carl Stehman
IT Distributed Services Team
Pepco Holdings, Inc.
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman at pepco.com

"Mark Kilpatrick" <Mark.Kilpatrick at edsgfs.ie>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
12/13/2006 12:39 PM

<veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu>
cc

Subject
[Veritas-bu] Oracle Rman - is it necessary to stop and start the oracle
services

I have configured an oracle rman backup on a Windows 2003 64bit cluster. I
am using netbackup 5.1 mp6 client and a windows 2003 netbackup 51
server.The oracle agent licenses are installed. The attempt to run the
backup by specifying the script successfully connects to the database and
rman catalog server but fails with the following error.

RMAN-03009: failure of allocate command on SBT_TAPE1 channel at 12/13/2006
17:15:37
ORA-19554: error allocating device, device type: SBT_TAPE, device name:
ORA-27211: Failed to load Media Management Library

I have not stopped the oracle services and re-started them as instructed
in the installation guide as i cannot do this easlily as the server is 24
hours. Is sthis step necessary to get the backup to work? What will
stopping oracle accomplish for a netbackup client agent point of view?

Also, when i open Backup, Archive and Restore on the client I cannot see
the oracle database.

THanks for help.

whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify the system manager.

Veritas-bu maillist  -  Veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.  If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.  PHI
policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive
statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email
communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such
communications.