Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Not Using all Tape Drives

2006-12-06 19:16:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Not Using all Tape Drives
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 18:16:28 -0600
On 12/6/2006 3:20 PM, i node wrote:
> I've begun monitoring tape drive usage, and comparing it to 'bpdbjobs
> -summary' output every X minutes.  I've found that we consistently have
> at least a quarter of our drives empty, even during our busiest times,
> with many backup jobs queued.  How can I determine why these drives are
> not getting used?

There are a ton of reasons.  It could be because you're in an SSO
environment and you don't have enough tape drives per media server.  It
could be because you have limits on the maximum jobs per storage unit.
It could be you've the hit the maximum number of jobs per client.

In NBU 6, look at the status of the queued job - it will tell you why
it's waiting.  I don't think NBU 5 tells you why, but NBU 6 does.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org