Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Infinity backup and level of infinity

2006-12-06 06:18:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Infinity backup and level of infinity
From: bobbyrjw at bellsouth.net (Bobby Williams)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 06:18:35 -0500
I am sure that it is 2038, but I can't verify right now.

A word of caution about custom levels.  If you have multiple masters in your
organization, make sure that you customize them all the same.

When you import a tape (DR or alternate site or some other reason) to
another master, the tape will import with only the retention level (i.e. 9
or 6) not a retention period.

It is very unnoticeable, but you could import some long term tape
(customized) to a much shorter retention level.

There is also an "immediate" that can be set. It can mess up your day to
import a 10 year tape to another system as immediate (which means expire the
backup as soon as it is done).

The immediate is good for testing throughput or mechanical motions of
robotics or even excludes/includes and bpstart up scripts.

Bobby Williams
2205 Peterson Drive
Chattanooga, Tennessee  37421
423-296-8200