Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Trunking in solaris...

2006-12-05 16:19:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Trunking in solaris...
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 16:19:36 -0500
I'm backing up dozens of clients over 2 GigE interfaces per media server.
I've got a V880, with 2x GigaSwift GigE cards, and several V240s with the built
in bge quad cards.

On my V880 Master, I have the following:

hostname: master
Netbackup is installed with "master" specified for the hostname.
/etc/nodename = master

interface ce0 = 192.168.1.1 = master-ce0
interface ce1 = 192.168.1.3 = master-ce1

/etc/hostname.ce0
192.168.1.1 netmask + broadcast + group multiIP up addif 192.168.1.2 deprecated
-failover netmask + broadcast + up
/etc/hostname.ce1
192.168.1.3 netmask + broadcast + group multiIP up addif 192.168.1.4 deprecated
-failover netmask + broadcast + up

On my V240s, I have the following:

hostname: media-A
Netbackup is installed with "media-A" specified for the hostname.
/etc/nodename = media_A

interface bge0 = 192.168.1.5 = media-A-bge0
interface bge1 = 192.168.1.7 = media-A-bge1

/etc/hostname.bge0
192.168.1.5 netmask + broadcast + group multiIP up addif 192.168.1.6 deprecated
-failover netmask + broadcast + up
/etc/hostname.bge1
192.168.1.7 netmask + broadcast + group multiIP up addif 192.168.1.8 deprecated
-failover netmask + broadcast + up

and so on, with media-B using the next 4 IPs, etc.

the bp.conf of each client has the following:

SERVER= master-ce0
SERVER= master-ce1
SERVER= media-A-bge0
SERVER= media-A-bge1
SERVER= media-B-bge0
SERVER= media-B-bge1
SERVER= media-C-bge0
SERVER= media-C-bge1

The bp.conf needs the actual interface names of the servers listed, not the
"netbackup" names......
for each server, there is a DNS alias for the netbackup hostname, ie, master,
media-A, media-B, etc, that points to the ce0 or bge0 interface for the
respective server.

I'm thinking about giving both public IPs the same "name" in a DNS hunt pool to
see if that works...when time allows.....

each server can backup multiple clients and they will loadbalance almost 50:50
over the interfaces, and in the case of a link failure, the failed link will
"failover"as a virtual interface on the remaining working interface...so you
can move a server to a different network switch, or anything at all with no
outage, by moving the physical connections one at a time.......if you notice
above, there are IPs ending in even and odd numbers......for two interfaces,
you will need 4 IPs as you need the virtual IPs (in BLUE above) internal to the
system to monitor the link states.....these IPs will never be seen from outside
of the respective boxes.....we just use this even digit "public" and odd digit
"internal/virtual" paradigm as it's easy to keep track....the "internal" IPs do
not need to be in DNS or host files or anything at all, however, IIRC, they
must be in the same subnet as the public interfaces....I THINK.....I never had
any reason to try it any other way, so I've left it as is.

if I can help anymore, let me know.

Paul