Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Trunking in solaris...

2006-12-01 11:01:30
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Trunking in solaris...
From: ddunham at taos.com (Darren Dunham)
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 08:01:30 -0800 (PST)
> I`am new to solaris and wonder if anyone know if it's possible to =
> trunk/team
> several network cards under solaris? If so, how do you do it?=20

All versions of Solaris support IPMP in software.  This allows for a bit
of outbound load sharing, but isn't really appropriate for load
balancing incoming data (as you might want on a netbackup server).  It
does provide you with failover though, and you can balance the incoming
traffic manually.  If all you need is failover, then it may be
sufficient.

SunTrunking is an extra application that you can run on Solaris.  It
only supports certain hardware in certain combinations.  It's a cost
purchase for versions prior to Solaris 10.

Solaris 10 can use SunTrunking as well, but also allows for link
aggregation of any networking hardware that uses gld3 drivers.  This is
built into Solaris and doesn't require extra software.

IP Mulitpathing (IPMP) and Link Aggregation configuration details should
be in the administrators guide for the version of Solaris you have (if
supported).

--
Darren Dunham                                           ddunham at taos.com