Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Migrate NBU 5.1 from Windows 2003 to Solaris 10

2006-11-30 20:06:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Migrate NBU 5.1 from Windows 2003 to Solaris 10
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:06:15 -0600
On 11/30/2006 4:29 PM, Ellis, Jason wrote:
> Does anybody happen to have a procedure written down as to what needs to
> be done to migrate from Windows to Solaris?

We did it when we were at NetBackup 3.4 and it's changed a lot since
then.  It's very, very definitely not for the faint at heart and there
are many conditions that will make it hard if not impossible (binary and
ascii files with a mix of line terminators is just one issue you'll run
into).  I had two NetBackup engineers involved just to change the
hostname of an upgraded media server on 6.0.

Your simple procedure is:
- Install NBU on the Solaris server.  Make it a master server
- Purchase a new robot and new media for the new master
- Do all your new backups to the new Solaris master and use the old
server just for restores.
- When the majority of your backup images on the Windows master have
expired, use bpimport on the rest.
- Retire the old master and robot.

        .../Ed

--