Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Upgrading 5.1 mp4 to mp5

2006-11-29 10:28:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading 5.1 mp4 to mp5
From: jroyer at digitalmotorworks.com (Joe Royer)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:28:55 -0600 (CST)
- The bpdbjobs output is reversed, broke some of my homegrown reports
that use it.  Not a big deal.
- The "failed to destage failed backups to DSSU" issue that I just
posted about, I have not seen this on MP4
- I have seen two unexplained crashes of brpd since moving to MP5, one
of them logged errors such as:
   terminate_daemon: termination begun...error code = 0
   terminate_daemon: bprd TERMINATED

My general rule of thumb is to run a new NetBackup patch in dev for
three months without errors before to deploying to production.  I
installed MP5 in Dev on July 24 and so far I have not gone 3 months
without a weird error, so I'm still on MP4 in production with a caveat
that I will upgrade quickly if/when I need a 64-bit Linux Oracle single
table restore (known bug in MP4, and I have six of such databases).